After just one round, my seemingly fail-proof golf picks have all gone to sh*t. Aside from Tiger who currently sits 2-over-par through 10 holes before the day closed due to earlier rain delays, the only other player with half a chance of winning is my boy Justin Rose who finished his round with a very “meh 1-over-par to fall T-35th.
Luke Donald currently leads the pack sitting 4-under-par through 13 holes after rattling off five birdies and a bogey.
The story of the day lies with Phil Mickelson who first claimed the “father-of-the-
year week weekend” award when he elected to stay in San Diego to watch his daughter graduate from eight-grade and later take a red-eye flight to arrive only hours before his 7:11AM tee time at Merion.
Aside from that, news broke that Mickelson, who’s been known to mix up his equipment, ditched his driver in favor of five wedges! No Phrankenwood in the his bag but the move paid off for Mickelson who shot 3-under-par and is currently T-2nd with 2013 Masters’ Champion Adam Scottt.
- Rickie Fowler: even-par
- Rory McIlroy: even-par through 11
- Bubba Watson & Ian Poulter: 1-over-par
- Graeme Mcdowell: 3-over-par through 12
- Henrik Stenson: 4-over-par
- Sergio Garcia: 3-over-par (dude had 5 birdies, 3-bogeys, 1-double bogey, and a commendable double-par snowman “8” on the 15th… can’t believe he’s only three over with those numbers!)